Lindores Abbey was founded in 1191, overlooking the estuary of the River Tay. One of its monks, Brother John Cor, is mentioned in the first written mention distillation from malt was recorded in the exchequer rolls of 1494:
“To Brother John Cor, by order of the King, to make aqua vitae VIII bolls of malt.”
During the Reformation, the abbey was mostly dismantled and only a ruin still stands. However, drawing on the tales of Brother John Cor, the abbey's preservation society have now built a distillery and are building the location as a site of learning again, as it once was.
The grounds are full of a varied area of plants, thanks to the monk's gardens, and currently the distillery use these to create a botanical spirit that is inspired by the Aqua Vitae of Brother John Cor's day.