On 24 May 1895, a new grocers shop opened on South Street in Elgin. One of the first new employees was John Urquhart, a 15-year-old who was serving his apprenticeship under owners James Gordon and Alexander MacPhail. When MacPhail retired in 1915, Urquhart became a partner and then sole partner when Gordon passed away two weeks later. Since then, his family has run the company.
With the fourth generation now in charge, Gordon & MacPhail continues to grow. While the grocers is still on South Street, it is the company's whisky business that is its focus. Along with an award-winning and widely respected range of single cask bottlings, G&M also owns Benromach distillery and produces a wide range of single malt expressions.
With such a long history behind it, G&M has some of the most impressive archives in the whisky business. With almost 100 years of bottlings available to them, we look forward to seeing what they will bring along to the Old & Rare show.