The distillery was founded in 1826, however was almost completely destroyed by fire 10 years later. It was rebuilt and has passed through a succession of owners, including the Grant family, Teacher’s and Pernod Ricard. In 2008, Glendronach was bought by The Benriach Company, the second distillery in its portfolio.
The company's expertise was quickly put to use and thousands of pounds of sherry casks were purchased to finish and further mature the distillery's stocks. This led to a revamped sherry-focused range which has been attracting fans every since.