Benromach was built in 1898 and operated with only a few interruptions until 1983. However, it then closed and sat unused until 1998, when new owner Gordon & MacPhail reopened the refurbished distillery and started to distil.
G&M is well known in the whisky world for its independent bottlings but had never owned its own distillery. With the purchase of Benromach, the company entered a new part of the whisky industry and have focused on producing old fashioned whisky. The distillery's modest half-a-million-litre capacity gives G&M enough spirit to split between their much-loved core expressions and experiments – from organic and peated whiskies to a host of cask finishes.