There was once a distillery close to the Wolfburn site, but nothing of it remains. Named after the river (burn) that the distillery draws its water from, the distillery was initially founded in 1821 by William Smith on the outskirts of Thurso. At one time, it was the largest distillery in Caithness with an annual production in 1826 of 125,000 litres. Although records are unclear, the distillery appears to have ceased production around the 1860s.
Today’s Wolfburn distillery is just a short walk from the old site and the owners plan to produce the same volume as William Smith once made.