Aultmore distillery was completed in 1896, and was powered by a water wheel until 1898 when a steam engine was fitted. This engine was in almost continuous use for nearly 70 years, and was only decommissioned in 1969 when electricity was finally introduced to the distillery.
The distillery had only been in operation for a couple of years when the infamous Pattison crash hit, hitting founder Alexander Edward hard in the pocket. Edward struggled on until 1923 before selling Aultmore to John Dewar and Sons. The distillery was completely refurbished in 1971, at which time the stills were increased from two to four.